Thursday, July 26, 2007

For Geeks Only

I find that I am very weird and do things that most people don't. Ever so often I do find a person that wants to do as I do but ithis is rare. You see I love 50 & 60's music, this is what I listened to when I was a teenager and younger.
I built many crystal radio sets and one and two tube sets when I was about 12. I collected every broken radio that people put out for trash. Some I fixed most were cut up for parts. The first transistor radio I ever seen was shown to me in about 1954. An engineer for G.E. had a prototype, it was AM only with no speaker, only an earphone. This was before FM became popular so most radios did not have it. Radios then were measured in the number of transistors, 4, 6, or 8. Six was the standard and this was way before they had ICs. Small was what everyone wanted back then, but by the time I was 18 or so bigger was better. Boom Boxes were the thing when I was in the army. I remember this very well as I had a big boom box resting on an open window sill in my army billets, when I returned from the shower It was gone (stolen). I worked for Townsend Tree service one Summer and the spray truck I drove had no radio. I tied a portable radio onto the westcoast mirror for my listing pleaser. The same was done when I worked for UPS, but it had to be hidden, NO Radios Allowed. Now I listen to digital satellite radio. I have it on a special boom box they call a roadie, also I can pipe XM radio into my sound system for home listing. I also have it on my Direc-TV system. This I record eight hours at a time on DVD were it can be played on a computer or DVD set-top player. I also convert the DVD audio to MP3 format so it can be played on a very small digital MP3 player. Sorry I got carried away, now I'm going to tell you what I was thinking about when I started out with this. I use a program called "Total Video Converter" to convert the video file to MP3. Ever so often a sensible priced program comes along that will do exactly what you want it to do. This program will set you back about $40.00 but it is well worth the price. If you are into You Tube or for that matter any type of video this is almost a must have program. You can plug your cam corder into the DVD recorder then change the DVD video into about any format such as AVI for You Tube or DivX to save space on your computer's hard drive. I guess most reading this blog will not need this program, but I find in a year or so you may. I seem to run a little ahead I think. Keep it in mind for the future if not needed now. You can read all about it here:
http://www.effectmatrix.com/total-video-converter/index.htm
This is shareware, so you can try it for free then if you like what it does you can get the credit card out.