Saturday, December 31, 2005

You gott'a do it

I just finished removing 85 spyware files and 35 virus infected files from a computer that I have had here in the shop at least 4 times before. This gal is one of my wife's best friends, she is a single mother with 2 kids. She must have a computer for the part time home job she has. The problem is always the same, it is loaded with games that the kids download, also it is always loaded with spyware and viruses. I spent 3 1/2 hours cleaning it up this afternoon. The bad thing is, I know it will be back in 3 months or so. I use notepad to create a "read me now" file and put it right in the middle of the desk-top so she will have to click & read. It tells her what I fixed and what to do to keep it from getting messed up again. It tells her to keep the anti virus program updated, this is a must. It also tells her to update the spyware remover program and run it at least once a week. Don't use IE, use Firefox for browsing the internet. Use Thunderbird mail, not Outlook Express to read and send email. Stop the kids from downloading all those games loaded with ad on programs, get'em an X-box instead. If she would do these little simple things I bet I would never see her again. If everyone would do these little simple things I would have nothing much to do but watch TV.

No comments: