Monday, December 01, 2008

too old to be a geek

I am getting too old to be a geek. Oh...I like getting a new computer or camera and playing with it and learning about it. I liked playing with my netrwork when I had to learn to use it to support it. I would like a new cell phone but can't decide which one to get. I am somewhere between a geek and a techno-phobe. I don't want a cell phone to use all the time. I like my landline...there is something comforting to me about being tethered to the wall and knowing I can hear the person I'm talking to all the time. But I carry one in the car for emergencies. I keep the TV on all the time just for background noise. I love to read but I'm resisting getting a Kindle. Because I love the feel of a magazine in my hands. Since my job requires that I be a geek or as I like to put it a "gu" not a full blown "guru" when it comes to computer software and hardware, I have to keep up with not give up on technology. And try not to kill the users I support when they ask questions that they should already know the answers to!

Thoughts taken from Emily Watson's Blog