Thursday, March 09, 2006

Repeat Questions

Two to three times a week someone calls to ask, "I can't shut my computer off, what do I do" ? The answer is simple, just hold the power button in for 5 or 6 seconds till it shuts off. If you have a reset button push it, this will restart the computer. After it boots up fully, shut it down the normal way with the start button. If either of these two methods will not put the lights out, pull the power plug from the wall. This always works !

Another question I get is, "I see the big blue screen of death, what do I do"? Your computer has crashed, or as I like to put it "it has a headache". Turn it off then back on.

Another one is, I have a pop-up window that states "Your computer is infected with Spyware, click here to remove it". DON'T DO IT, this is malware. (malicious ware) Try to close the window by clicking the red "X" at the top right corner. If this fails, close out your browser. Don't go back to that page in the future. The best way to prevent most of this malware and other bad things that cause you grief is to use the Fire Fox browser. Only use Microsoft's Internet Explorer (your default browser) when you must. FireFox is free at http://getfirefox.com It is 5 Meg., so give yourself some time to download it if you are using dial-up.

Hope this helps,
Jack

No comments: