Friday, March 17, 2023

Bad Antennas

It was rainy cold day but I did manage to take the trash out for pick up. I decided to play some Ham Radio. I started on 60 meters, the antenna was a 43 ft vertical. This antenna is way to short so a wide band large tuner was put to use. I sent out a few CQs at QRP (low power) 5 watts. That did not cut it I found very quickly, so I set the power up to 25 watts. This was much better as I contacted several stateside stations, but my signal reports were poor to very poor. Enough of that, I switched to a end fed 63 ft wire antenna that is only 10 foot high. This antenna worked about the same, a few stateside and one in Barbados (8P6).

Now for the faunally, I Stung a wire from the living room to a back bedroom. I started with 10 watts on the 20 meter band. When I transmitted the TV came on and off. I went to 15 meters and the antenna tuned very well and the TV liked it too. A few calls and again about 4 or 5 stations were worked. Not bad with a indoor set up. Now it all came to an end. I do not recommend this set up if you have a wife.

This just shows that a bad antenna is better than none, about anything can  work.

WB9OTX Jack