Sunday, July 03, 2011

WB9OTX Makes Moon Bounce Contact

11:50 EDT (15:50Z) July 3, 2011
Today at about noon I worked my first moon bounce EME station. It was UA3PTW located in European Soviet Union. All the expense, problems, work, and sweat finally paid off. I have dreamed about this for many years and today it has come to be. This is one of the hardest contacts to make in Ham Radio and also the longest distance. It is 240,000 average miles to the moon and another 240,000 miles return. It takes 2 1/2 seconds for the signal's round trip. I have a very modest station consisting of two 15 element Yagi antennas and the power of 300 watts. A big thanks to my wife Betty for reheating all the meals that I have missed trying for this contact........... Jack Demaree WB9OTX


*** Update ..... I have now contacted Spain, Italy and the USA. I am adding 2 more antennas on a "H" frame, 7/8 inch hard line, and a quad input power divider as soon as all the parts come in. Look out moon !