Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Yaesu 817 and I'm having a terrible time

All, OK, OK,  I confess,
I am new to ham and purchased a yaesu 817nd and I'm having a terrible time using it and getting set up. (I wanted a portable Ham radio to be used for emergencies and camping) Any one know of a good web site or video series to help me set this baby up and to get it going?  I have computer interface and simple don't know all the input categories and guidelines to use specifically. Yep, I keep reading books and learning, but after weeks into it, some guidance would be great besides my trial and error methods. I feel like I am trying to learn a musical instrument from scratch with no sense of rhythm.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  Surely someone can relate.  Maybe I am being impatient and it takes years to make one single contact?
Thanks all in advance,
Kf5zbo......

...................................................................

The radio will work right out of the box with the default settings and mic. I would say you may need a better antenna. Only call very strong stations and don't waste your time calling CQ. Use the highest band that is open if you have the antennas for different bands. If not make a good antenna for 20 meters and use it. Try checking into a net like Mid-Cars on 7258 but only if the net control is very strong. As I said I think you need a better antenna, but if you can not improve that buy an antenna tuner like the Z-817. One other note: use an external 12 volt battery or power supply. The internal battery will default to 2.5 watts, with external power you can run the full 5 watts. You will do much better using CW rather than SSB. I use JT9 and work the world with 5 watts. Don't give up. ...... WB9OTX
....................................................................
Thank you for your response.
Currently I have a z817 and it says everything is tuned. I don't really understand what a 'net is... See how new I am?  I have the unit plugged in the wall so I would think it would be putting out a full 5 volts but not certain.  The way I understand it is, you can always have a better antenna. :) 
I would like to learn CW, but one step at a time I suppose...
Thanks for your response, 
Kf5zbo...
..............................................................................
You know you can't make this stuff up !
This is a perfect example why the FCC should have never removed the code requirement for obtaining a Ham radio license. .......................... WB9OTX