Saturday, September 20, 2014

QRP = Very low power for Ham Radio


Yaesu FT-817 and  LDG Tuner
Every day for the past month or so I have been using a very small low power radio (Yaesu FT-817)  to contact other Hams all over the world. The output (RF watts) comes in 5, 2.5, 1, and; 500 milawatts. My antennas are very good and this is a must for QRP operating. You will not need the LDG tuner if your antennas are resinate  I have made several CW (Morris code) contacts, but the most fun I've had is using an operating mode called JT9. JT9 is a digital mode and is relatively new. It's creator is K1JT and not only has he made JT9 but also JT65 and others. I used JT65B to work all continents on the 144 Mhz.(2 meter) band via the moon (EME). The radio must be interfaced with a computer to use these digital modes and I use the products from West Mountain,
West Mountain, plug and Play

 but there are many other companies producing sound card computer interfaces. The computer can be about anything, old or new. The software is free from K1JT's web page. The radio that I use is a Yaesu FT-817 but you can use about any radio that the power can be turned down on. I'm sure this mode of operation is not for everyone, but if you are tired of using SSB or CW try JT65 or JT9. You can talk to the world with just a very few watts..... Jack WB9OTX