Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ham Radio via the moon


I have peaked a lot of interest with my latest contacts via the moon. Other local Hams want to try EME (Earth Moon Earth) and want information on how to set up a station. I as a novice can give a few pointers, but by no means am I an expert. If you read some of the articles posted to the internet it would seem fairly easy. I speak from my trials, "it is not easy". Contacts have been made using a single antenna and a power of 50 watts, but this is a rare thing. I think the bare minimum you should shoot for is two high gain antennas phased together either with an expensive power divider or phasing lines. An elevation and azmath rotor, as short of a run of coax or hardline (7/8 inch) LMR 400 can be used if the run is short. Also you need at least 300 watts of power and a very sensitive SSB 2 meter receiver. Not a must but very helpful, a mast mounted pre-amp. With this minimum set up you will with good conditions be able to make a few contacts. You may try for days without any contacts, but you can work the very large stations (big guns) in time. I have been very lucky, I have worked 8 stations in 2 weeks. I think this is very good but I have exhausted hours of time accomplishing these 8 contacts. Prepare to miss meals, appointments, and sleep. Be warned it is habit forming and expensive. But the greatest thrill will be seeing your call sign coming back via the moon on the computer screen. I am now in the process of adding 2 more antennas mounted on an "H" frame hoping for a better chance of making more contacts..... Jack WB9OTX EM79ib