Sunday, August 17, 2008

WiFi not working - Woe is me

This morning I booted the wireless notebook up and found that the wireless (WiFi) was not working. I tried all my geekie tricks trying to fix the problem, with no luck. I called HP and talked to a computer voice that I could understand and believe it or not it could understand everything I told it. It connected me to a very understandable man with perfect English. I told him the problem and what I had done to try to fix it. He told me it sounded like a motherbord problem and I would have to send it in for repair. FedEx will be here Tuesday to pick it up.

Now for the big job of backing up the data. I run "My Documents", "Address book", and "Bookmarks" over to a thumdrive. The files I keep in a directory called "Keep Me" was copied to a DVD. All the drivers went to a CD-R.

I had to look up with Googles help on how to back up the "Book Marks" in Firefox. So I thought I would pass it on to you. You should backup ever so often because its not "if - its when". The crash will come. This will be the third time this year I have had to reload one of my computers. By the way I am typing this with a Cat5 wire run from a switch across the living room, my wife is not home !

It is always good to have a back up of data especially the bookmarks in Firefox. Taking a back up of bookmarks is pretty simple process and basically there are two methods to back up your Firefox bookmarks.

Open FireFox, then
Go to Bookmarks->Organize Bookmarks in the main menu.
This will open up the Bookmarks Manager window. In this window you can see all the bookmarks saved. Go to File->Export and save the file in a preferred location off your computer, like a CD or Thumdrive. The file will contain all your bookmarks and will be an .html file. Whenever you install Firefox in another PC or re-install in your PC, you can import all the bookmarks through File->Import and select the option From File in the Bookmarks Manager.
Copied from:
http://www.nirmaltv.com/2007/07/25/how-to-back-up-bookmarks-in-firefox/