Saturday, May 10, 2008

IRS Stimulus Payment Phishing Scam

I have received several emails wanting me to click a link that should lead me to the IRS then inform me when I will receive my check. This is a phishing scam to collect your personal information that will include your social security number, birth date, and perhaps bank routing information. This Web site looks very perfeshinal and would appear to be from the IRS. Don't be fooled, it is a scam, the IRS will never request your social security number via email. Think ! before you enter any of your personal information into any web form or page. The IRS does not send out unsolicited e-mail messages, warnings or request for your information, so unless you are actively working with someone at the IRS, you should assume that anything claiming to be from the IRS is bogus. The best bet is just never ever do it. Other scams include eBay, PayPal, Banks, Western Union, and on and on. Just say no and do not click. More information here.