Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Scary ol' High Wall Tree passed on




I suppose most reading this Blog have never seen this old tree but it was a land mark of Versailles, Indiana. If you were a kid and were born and raised around Versailles you will know it. It was on the path to the the famous High Wall. Kids of all ages, for I guess the last one hundred years, played there. I seen no change in this tree in my complete life and I am almost 62 years old now. I carved a hart with my girlfriend's name on it when I was about 12. Others did the same also. Every trip there I looked and yes hard to read, but still the hart was visible. I sadly report that this tree has fallen. My good friend Ken Akers made the hike about a month ago and seen it has passed on. I feel like I have lost a friend of the family. I will not post a photo in its current state after it has fallen, I think we should remember it as it was in our mind as a kid. Most will never see it now as we are too old to make the short hike, so just look at this photo and remember it like it was in our youth. About five years ago I took several photos from the High Wall. You can take another imaginary hike by clicking this link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jack.demaree/HighWall
------------------------------------------------------------------
A reply from Lin Townsend (Oatman) from Ca:

I loved the pictures of High Wall. I spent many wonderful hours there making "dishes" out of clay, having picnics with Judy and Joyce, and wading in the stream. I also lost my Mom's class ring somewhere in that stream. Years later, when I was home from California for Christmas, one of my students visited. I had promised her, when she was in the 4th grade, that I would take her to see snow someday. When she came to Versailles, it was just beginning to snow and we went on a hike to High Wall. Nancy ( my student) still talks about visiting High Wall and the fun we had in the snow. I do miss those days when we were young and our whole world was safe and free from all the problems in the world today. I wish all kids could have had a High Wall in their life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
A reply from Jack Kirtley from Nevada:

Jack, I read everything you put on your website and would be lost without it. I am one of the people who really appreciate you and your website. Having grown up in Versailles and Loving every minute of it, I have vivid memories of what you write about. The High Wall was a favorite hangout for us as kids and I have thrown a million rocks in the hole on the side of the tree. We used to make a wish and throw a rock in the hole believing the wish would come true. It will be missed by me even tho I haven't seen it in 50 years. Keep up the great stuff you put on the internet for us and always know that we Love it. Thanks a million, Jack Kirtley
--------------------------------------------------------------------
A reply from Marlene Talbott (Green) Oh:

Thanks for this wonderful picture. I hope somebody has painted it--do you know? I forwarded it on to some people I know that I think might know about this. I didn't know about the three. I knew about the High Wall, but until a couple of years ago, when Ken Akers was telling me about it, I thought it was my secret! I've forgotten how to get there. Is it still possible, and if so, can you send me directions? Thanks for your services in the name of Nostalgia. Marlene
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: High Wall is located on private property so you should ask permission to visit. Is there a painting ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
A reply from Bill Miller from Ohio:

Sure I remember the tree. Over the years I guess I remember about every inch of Versailles and Osgood.
---------------------------------------------------------------------