Sunday, May 22, 2011

All good things must come to an end

A few weeks ago I created a web page to view my weather station instruments. To do this so the public could view I needed the weather station to to transmit the data to a computer screen. I found this was possible, but not for an extended amount of time. The connection would be lost after a few hours. The next problem was found to be the FTP computer program would also fail to transmit the computer screen capture to the remote server after a few hours. After hours of trying to discover what was wrong I gave up. You see I have lived by the saying, "You have to be smart enough to know when to give up". I also found by the page view counter that the public was not looking at the page. Only a few were taking advantage of my long hours of work. So all will be removed from the server. All was not lost though, I learned a few things. Things that work, things that don't. It was a nice ride.

Another project that did work faultlessly was my work on streaming audio. I can pipe in audio such as music or audio from my radio scanner. I used a program that was simple to set-up, also the public was listening. Unlike the screen capture program it would never loose connection. It also would not interfere when I was using the computer for other work. This was a flaw with the weather screen capture page. If I was editing a web page or doing other work I had to disable the the FTP program that sent the page to the server. You can hear the audio at: http://wb9otx.com/live_audio.htm