Friday, July 24, 2009

I was stationed at Ft. Ord, Ca


I was stationed at Ft. Ord, Ca. for a period of about 22 months while serving my army obligation. I was an instructor of military explosives while there. This was a very beautiful post and my duty was good. My daughter Sandy just visited this post along with Monterey / Sea Side where she and her mother Betty and I lived. She found our actual apartment that after 45 years or so was still there and looking good. Her visit jogged my memory as to see what I could find about my old army days. Sadly, Ft. Ord was closed in 1994.......... Sgt. Jack Demaree - Click to see my interview from the Library of Congress
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<->>>>>>>>>>>>>

Fort Ord was a U.S. Army post on Monterey Bay in California. It was established in 1917 as a maneuver area and field artillery target range and was closed in September 1994. Fort Ord was one of the most attractive locations of any U.S. Army post, because of its proximity to the beach and California weather. The 7th Infantry Division (Light) was its main resident for many years. When Fort Ord was converted to civilian use, space was set aside for the first nature reserve in the United States created for conservation of an insect, the endangered species Smith's blue butterfly.

While much of the old military buildings and infrastructure remain abandoned, many structures have been torn down for anticipated development. California State University Monterey Bay, along with some subdivisions, a strip mall, military facilities and a nature preserve occupy the area today.
Here are some links with Ft. Ord information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Ord

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/fort-ord.htm
http://nimst.tripod.com/cgi-bin/FtOrd.html