Thursday, March 09, 2006

Virtual Drive

I notice a few computer companies are putting the operating system on a small partition then configuring a very large partition for storage. Novice users think they are out of hard drive space when they actually have loads of room. You can check this out by looking at the file tree. Do this with my computer program. If there is an Icon on your desk top click it, if not click Start > My Computer. Look inside the window that pops up, you should see "Hard Disk Drives" one should be "C" if there is one called "D", this is the Virtual Drive. That is unless you have two physical hard drives. I think you would know if you have two hard drives though, Most store bought computers do not have two. Do not confuse hard drives with removable storage. This refires to CD, DVD, Zip Drives, etc. If you have a Virtual Drive store your files there. When the big crash comes you can eliminate the Virtual Drive or tell the tech to do it for you. I see no advantage of a Virtual Drive because when the operating system crashes most times you can't access the 2nd partition anyway. I say most times, it may save your data some times, but I know you had it backed up anyway. (not)

No comments: